why its ok to have good days and bad days

 

Healing Isn't Linear: 

Why It's Okay to Have Good Days and Bad Days





One of the biggest misconceptions about healing is that it's supposed to happen in a straight line.

We often imagine that once we decide to heal, each day will be better than the last. We expect the pain to gradually disappear until it's completely gone. But real healing doesn't work that way.

Some days, you'll wake up feeling hopeful and strong. You'll smile, laugh, and feel like you're finally moving forward. Then, without warning, a familiar song, a place, a memory, or even a simple conversation can bring back emotions you thought you had already overcome.

When that happens, it's easy to think, "I'm back where I started."

But you're not.

Having a difficult day doesn't erase the progress you've already made.

Healing isn't about never feeling pain again. It's about learning how to walk through the pain differently than you did before.

I've had days when I felt completely at peace, believing I had finally moved on. Then the next day, tears came without warning. At first, I felt discouraged. I questioned whether I was truly healing.

Over time, I realized something important.

Healing isn't measured by how often you cry.

It's measured by how you respond when you do.

Maybe before, pain kept you stuck for weeks. Now, it lasts for a day before you find your footing again.

Maybe before, you believed every negative thought. Now, you recognize those thoughts and choose hope instead.

Maybe before, you suffered in silence. Now, you reach out, pray, or give yourself the grace to rest.

That is growth.

Healing often looks less like giant leaps and more like small, faithful steps.

Some days you'll feel like climbing mountains.

Other days you'll simply survive.

Both days matter.

One of the greatest gifts you can give yourself is grace.

Stop expecting yourself to heal on someone else's timeline.

Stop comparing your progress to people whose stories are different from yours.

Your journey is unique, and your healing deserves patience.

God never asks us to rush through our pain. Throughout Scripture, we see people who grieved, questioned, waited, and trusted Him through difficult seasons. Their stories remind us that healing is often a process, not a single moment.

There will be days when you feel discouraged.

Days when old fears return.

Days when you wonder if you'll ever feel completely whole.

When those days come, remind yourself of this:

A hard day is not a failed day.

It's simply part of the journey.

One verse that brings comfort to my heart is:

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." — Psalm 34:18

Notice that God doesn't promise we'll never have brokenhearted days.

He promises that He will be close to us in them.

That changes everything.

If today is one of your good days, celebrate it.

Smile.

Rest.

Be grateful.

If today is one of your difficult days, be gentle with yourself.

Take a deep breath.

Pray.

Rest if you need to.

Remember how far you've already come.

Healing is not a race.

It's a relationship with yourself, with time, and with God.

Today, I choose progress over perfection.

I choose patience over pressure.

I choose to trust the process, even when I cannot see the destination.

And if you're reading this while feeling discouraged, I want to leave you with this truth:

You are not starting over.

You are growing through something that takes courage, faith, and time.

Every tear you've cried, every prayer you've whispered, and every step you've taken has mattered.

Keep going.

One day, you'll look back and realize that even your hardest days were leading you toward a stronger, wiser, and more peaceful version of yourself.

Your healing isn't linear—but it is beautiful.

Thank you for walking this journey with me. I hope this reminds you that healing isn't about getting it perfect. It's about showing up, trusting God, and choosing hope again and again, one day at a time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Yourself Again After the Storm

Learning to smile after pain